From Hillcrest Ranch Sunol, www.hillcrestrancholiveoil.com
- 1 medium-size (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, washed and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2–3 ripe pears or apples, peeled (optional), cored, and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400°.
Spread the squash, pears, and leeks in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir to coat, and spread out evenly in the pan. Roast for 40–50 minutes (or until soft), stirring occasionally to ensure even roasting. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
Purée roasted vegetables and fruits along with the ginger and broth, working in batches so your blender or food processor is not too full. Pour each batch into a large saucepan. Reheat and adjust seasonings.