Recipe courtesy of Barbara Llewellyn Catering & Event Planning
Makes 12 poppers
For the stuffed blossoms
- 12 unopened squash blossoms
- ½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon each: chopped chive, parsley, thyme, dill
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the batter
- 4 egg whites beaten to soft peaks
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Whisk together cheeses, cream, herbs, and salt and pepper until creamy. Put mixture into a pastry bag and pipe approximately ½ tablespoon of the mixture into each blossom. Push tip with finger to seal.
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the flour and salt with the milk and then gently fold into the beaten egg whites. Dip filled blossom into this batter and fry in the hot oil for 2 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle with lemon zest and parsley and serve warm.