This side dish works well with a simply prepared omelet or under warmed duck confit.
- 5 ounces Niman Ranch Black Forest ham, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 Fuji apples, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 russet potatoes
- 1 yellow onion, medium dice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (or caraway)
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Boil potatoes until just tender, cool, peel, and cut in ½-inch dice. Heat oil in a heavy skillet, when almost smoking add potatoes, season, and fry without stirring for 2 minutes. Add ham, onion, and apples, turn the mixture with an offset spatula. Continue frying, stirring every few minutes, until onions are translucent and apples are tender. Mix in seeds, adjust seasoning and serve.
Keywords: Black Forest Hash, Hash with Ham, Potatoes, Apples, serve with duck confit