Spread light and love with luminous gifts from local merchants.
In each issue of Edible East Bay, we look to spark ideas on how we all can participate in making a more vibrant local economy. Many of our advertisers offer locally made gifts at their shops, but maybe you’ve run out of time to get there? By gifting a loved one a subscription or gift card, you don’t have to fuss over your choices, and these items are easy to order online or by phone at the last minute!
- Treat a friend to a bag full of groceries from their local shop.
- Send them to a cooking, gardening, or urban homesteading class
- or a memorable meal at a local restaurant.
Or give a gift that renews itself throughout the year with a subscription to a wine club or CSA farm. Here are some ideas that key right in with long-established subscription programs, while others await your own DIY innovations:
- Visit Edible East Bay‘s CSA guide for a full array of local producers’ CSA subscription options, which range from veggie boxes to fish or olive oil programs.
- Farmers’ Market Associations sell gift cards that will spur a weekly visit to see what local farmers and crafters are growing and producing.
- Membership in a local winery‘s wine club can instigate a fun social visit to the tasting room each month. Know your producers and meet your neighbors!
- Grow your own Seedling of the Month Club. A monthly gift certificate to your local nursery provides not only the seeds and starts, but also the skills and knowledge of nursery staff regarding what and when to plant.
- Launch a Local Sweets Adventure with a set of gift certificates to favorite local bakers, makers, and purveyors.
- Dream up a Passport to World Flavors: A book of gift certificates to local herb and spice shops can be an invitation to explore the world of flavors. Staff can offer advice on how to creatively use a new item to promote good cooking and good health.