From What’s in Season?
Recipe by Barbara Kobsar | Illustration by Charmaine Koehler-Lodge
- 3 medium zucchini
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 2 or 3 radishes, trimmed and sliced thinly
- 2 cups blanched Romanesco florets
- 1 cup English peas
- 1 cup cottage cheese (for a mild dressing) or 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (for a bold-tasting dressing)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Prepare zucchini “noodles” using a spiralizer or a julienne vegetable peeler. Do not use the seeded area in the middle of the zucchini. Place noodles in a medium bowl with chopped green onion and sliced radishes.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop in the Romanesco florets to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl of ice water, and when cooled, add to the zucchini.
Cook the peas in the same pan of water for 2 to 3 minutes and remove to the ice water. Drain when cool and add to the zucchini.
Just before serving, gently toss with dressing.