From Changing the Math on Organics
From the Conscious Kitchen Cookbook, recipe and photos by Chef Ashley Ugarte
- 8 ounces dry pasta
- Oil for cooking and finishing
- 1 bulb spring onion, chopped
- ½ leek, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, diced
- 7 spears fresh asparagus (substitute if not in season), chopped on the diagonal
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup fresh peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small lemon (for zest and juice)
- Parsley for finishing
- Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano for finishing
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Follow the cooking time on the pasta package, stirring occasionally. Drain well. Pour the pasta back into the pot.
While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Caramelize the onion and leek, about 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Add the asparagus, cook until crisp-tender and bright green. Add the carrots, cherry tomatoes, and peas, and cook until the peas are bright green, about 2 minutes.
Add the lemon zest, salt, and pepper to taste. Add veggies to the pasta and toss generously with olive oil, fresh parsley, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!