From the East Bay Avocado
For many years, Chef Lacey Sher’s Encuentro Cafe and Wine Bar was a favorite hangout for those seeking elevated plant-based cuisine in Oakland. She used avocados to give this thick creamy stand-in for ranch dressing its body. She recommends it as a dipping sauce for asparagus or steamed artichoke leaves.
Yields 2 cups
- 1½ medium avocados
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced white onion
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons raw shoyu
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi plum vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup
- ½ cup water
- Fresh ground pepper to your taste
Blend all ingredients until smooth. Refrigerated, it will keep for up to 4 days.