This popular Russian buttermilk soup should be served cold. If you boil the eggs and potatoes and prep all the vegetables in advance, everything can be well chilled and ready for quick assembly.
- 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 large boiled potato, peeled and diced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 Persian cucumbers, cut into cubes
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups buttermilk or plain kefir
- Sparkling or plain water to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup fresh herbs, such as dill and parsley
Place the cooked eggs and vegetables in a bowl and cover with cold buttermilk or kefir. Add water to thin out the soup to the desired consistency. Flavor with lemon juice as desired. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle the chopped herbs over the top.